Nearshore Software Development
The Benefits of Nearshoring and How it Can Solve your Software Outsourcing Issues
What is Nearshoring?
Nearshoring allows companies to outsource business and software development processes to resources in a nearby country, versus halfway around the world. Companies that engage with premier nearshore partners, like Gorilla Logic, find it easy to work with their remote teams, since they are highly trained, share the same language and cultural affinity, and operate within the same workday. Organizations that value the transparency and efficiency of Agile software development find that working with a nearshore distributed team also enables them to get more value from their budgets.
An increasing number of companies are opting to use nearshoring—either as their primary delivery model or in concert with onshore and offshore resources. Distributed Agile is widely practiced due to the seamless collaboration among teams working within the same time zone, as well as the cost efficiencies resulting from reduced overhead and lower service fees.
The Benefits of Nearshoring with Gorilla Logic
Take advantage of our proven, cost-effective nearshore model—one that offers knowledgeable, resourceful Agile experts in your time zone. Headquartered in Boulder, CO with nearshoring centers in Costa Rica and Colombia—our “Gorillas” are English fluent and culturally aligned with your organization, making communication seamless. They deliver results faster and provide greater efficiencies than traditional outsourcing, so you can optimize your budget, increase your project velocity, and achieve awesome results. Our business model and continuous delivery of game-changing results have led 80% of our Fortune 500 clients to stay with Gorilla for more than five years.
Located in the heart of Costa Rica’s business district, Gorilla Logic’s original secure development center is purpose-built for optimal collaboration among our teams and clients. With open workspaces, private meeting rooms, and a full slate of digital and technical resources, many of our clients choose to visit their Gorilla Logic team onsite. We welcome you to do the same.
Transparent communication in your time zone
Working with traditional outsourcing teams in highly disparate time zones reduces the opportunity for collaboration and increases the time it takes to exchange critical information and feedback. This results in an increased risk of error and missed deadlines. Gorillas operate within your time zone—delivering answers, updates, and results on your schedule.
High-performance teams you control
Our Gorillas readily integrate with your existing resources—providing a focused, unified team that is committed to your success. Build it the way you want, with your tools and hand-selected Gorillas that best fit your business needs and company culture.
Better results with less capital outlay
Gorilla Logic provides top-tier technology talent customized to your budget requirements. Fast, fluid, and focused, our Gorillas deliver an overwhelming return on your investment.
Although collaboration tools have made communication easier, challenges around access to talent, time zone, and cultural alignment persist. U.S. companies are adopting nearshoring as a cornerstone of their product development strategy to stay competitive.
– Dave Barr, Vice President of Global Service Delivery
Why nearshore in Costa Rica and Colombia?
Costa Rica and Colombia are within the top five most innovative economies in Latin America according to the Global Innovation Index. Both countries boast a large population of highly educated technology professionals and have been able to leverage this population to stand out amongst other areas. Because the cultures encourage networking and collaboration, the developer community is similar to what exists in Silicon Valley—offering meetups, hackathons, and programs such as MenTe designed to involve women in science and technology endeavors. Costa Rica and Colombia have also aligned themselves with Silicon Valley and other tech hubs through the pursuit of certifications such as PMP, Six Sigma, ITIL, and more.
In recent years, many foreign companies have begun operations in Colombia and Costa Rica. Twenty-four percent of Fortune 100 companies including Amazon, Citibank, and Procter & Gamble are choosing Costa Rica for their strategic nearshoring settings while approximately 200 foreign companies are now operating in Colombia. These companies are taking advantage of a highly educated workforce and business-optimized environment. Here are some key reasons why Costa Rica and Colombia have become a strategic location for many enterprises.
- Time zone. Costa Rica operates in Mountain Standard time year-round, allowing U.S.-based clients to collaborate with their nearshore teams during the same workday.
- English fluency. English is the second language in Costa Rica. More than 10 languages are spoken in all.
- Education. Costa Rica boasts a highly educated population with a +97% literacy rate, the highest in Latin America.
- Access. There are more than 1,000 flights from the U.S. to Costa Rica weekly.
- Infrastructure. Costa Rica has 100% telecom infrastructure redundancy. With the highest internet penetration in Latin America, the broadband network is one of the most developed in Central America, making interruptions uncommon.
- Time zone. Colombia operates in Eastern Standard time year-round making it easy for collaboration with U.S.-based clients during the same workday.
- Economy and Population. Colombia is the fourth largest economy in Latin America and has the third largest population with over 49 million inhabitants.
- Education. Colombia is within the top three Latin American countries in regards to the number of 25-34-year-olds that have tertiary education.
- Access. You can get to Medellín from the U.S. in less than four hours when departing from Miami.
- Innovation and Quality of Work. Previously named the most innovative city in the world, Medellín is known for high-quality work. Software development is considered to be one of its top industries.
Gorilla Logic’s services, nearshore software development teams, and your unique needs.
Offshoring can be an acceptable option for straightforward maintenance tasks, basic enhancements, and very well-defined waterfall projects. But when it comes to complex software builds, there are many issues that can completely derail a project including language barriers, skill sets, and time zone discrepancies. These issues increase the likelihood of delays, rework, missed deadlines, and internal team frustration. As Gartner points out “Offshore agile is considerably more difficult and risky than nearshore agile.”1
How to build trust with your nearshore team: 5 methods that really work. Read article.
However, there is one challenge that technology cannot overcome — time zones. As a rule of thumb, communication is easiest if there is an overlap of at least four hours between the business days of the central and remote locations.
Gartner, “Managing Distributed Agile With Outsourced Service Providers,” Neil Barton, Ian Head, et al., 12 February 2018.
Whether you need onsite, onshore, or nearshore resources, Gorilla Logic custom-builds the right mix for your needs. We offer a variety of engagement models to help you stay ahead of the innovation curve.
- Nearshore Agile Teams
- Nearshore Scaled Agile Teams
- Nearshore Staff Augmentation
- Onshore Leaders and Nearshore Implementers
Learn more about Nearshore Agile Teams
The full-stack capabilities we offer:
- UI/UX Design and UI Development
- Web Application Development
- Mobile Development Services
- Back-End Development
- Agile Development Services
- QA Testing Services
- Application Security
- DevOps and Cloud
- IoT Development Services
- Database Management Services
Get the benefits of nearshoring.